What is a postpartum doula? A postpartum doula comes along side you and your family to ease the transition of bringing your new baby home. I come to your home to help you in the first 12 weeks after baby’s birth. Whether you are bringing your first baby home or expanding your family, I help ensure a smoother transition in a number of tangible ways.
- light household cleaning & tidying around the house
- infant care: bathing, clipping nails, cord care, changing diapers
- assistance with breastfeeding, bottle feeding and pumping
- caring for the infant while you nap, shower, and catch a moment for yourself
- light cooking, meal prep, meal planning or shopping
- referrals to helpful resources (services, books, apps, stores, websites, etc.)
- techniques for soothing the baby, including infant massage instruction
- help juggling time with older siblings
- running errands together or at the beginning or end of my shift
- laundering baby’s clothes, household towels and sheets
- organizing the home for easier baby care & help with baby equipment
- help learning baby’s cues, understanding what science says about infants’ abilities
- encouragement, support and a non-judgmental listening ear
- relaxing shoulder massage each time I come (why not? I’m a massage therapist!)
Sounds great, doesn’t it? In other cultures or other times, a new family would have this kind of help within their community of family and friends. Today, here in Houston, there are a blessed few who have this kind of support. Hiring someone to help you can be a solution that works for you and your family. You will be hiring someone who is non-judgmental, up-to-date on current research and knowledgeable about a variety of ways to approach each challenge. This may have benefits even if you do have some support from family and friends. Perhaps you have a short maternity leave and want to make the most of your time with the baby to develop a strong bond; hiring a postpartum doula can help you focus more on the baby and use this precious time to the fullest.
For postpartum doula services, I work at Bassett Baby Planning. Our protocol involves setting up a complimentary consultation where we go over what you need, where you live, how many hours of service you might benefit from, pricing and other details. If we agree to work together, we sign an agreement. Fees are set by and paid to Bassett Baby Planning.
I want the best for your family, to ease your transition and decrease the strain a new baby places on your relationships. If you have any questions, let’s talk on the phone about how postpartum doula care can help you adjust to your new role and enjoy your first few months with your precious baby. Read some testimonials about the care I’ve provided to other families like yours.