If you could experience the following benefits without drugs, would you jump on board?
- decreased muscle spasm, cramps and pain in neck, back, hips and legs
- reduced discomfort associated with edema (retention of fluids)
- decreased stress and it’s harmful effects on mom and baby
- increase in the body’s natural endorphins and serotonin levels producing a feeling of well-being for mom and baby
- improvement in labor outcomes (i.e., decrease in prematurity, higher birth weight, shorter labor, decreased uterine pain, decreased rate of post-partum depression)
These are some of the documented benefits pregnancy massage can provide. Although research is not extensive like it is for cancer and major illnesses, it points to lots of benefits for both the mother and baby.
If you are or know someone who is pregnant and would like to explore first hand the benefits of pregnancy massage, please let me know!